Monday, December 12, 2011

Camel Sighting

I could not believe my eyes when I saw this! The last thing I would expect to find around here is a camel! But there he was, perched on a hill beside the highway, gazing solemnly out across the horizon toward the angular silhouette of Kennesaw Mountain. I had to take a closer look.


Old 41 NW at Hwy 41

The camel had come to this place, this sacred ground where Union and Confederate soldiers camped, fought and died 150 years ago in a great battle. For his part, the camel, symbol of a far land, famous for his part in the story of the Wise Men's journey to worship the Messiah, was pitching Christmas trees for the local branch of the Shriners. It is truly amazing how the threads of history intertwine.

For their part, the Shriners gathered around the campfire were perfect gentlemen.  They welcomed me and gave me a tour of their Christmas tree lot.  They introduced me to the camel.  


Apparently this camel is an old and honored member of the Yaarab Shrine Temple in midtown Atlanta.  He has been visiting the Kennesaw Mountain branch, but plans to return to the Temple in the new year.  The Shriners told me that they have enjoyed his visit with them, that he has become a valued member of their close community and is somewhat of a confidant and friend.


The camel is not just a "another pretty face." He has special abilities. He can roll his eyes, move his lips and wag his tail.  He is always ready for a party or a parade.  I was impressed with his quiet presence and dignified demeanor.


As I took my leave, I noticed that another storied celebrity was visiting the Christmas tree lot. Apparently Rudolph is selling firewood these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment