Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mailboxes

I have expectations that keep me relatively blind sometimes. For instance, I pass a lot of mailboxes on the way to work; but I don't really pay attention to them. My expectation is that mailboxes look alike. Nothing to see here - keep your eyes on the road!

I think that mailbox design is predictable because mailboxes have rules. Mailboxes must conform to government requirements (for height and distance from the street) so as to be efficient for the postman. To comply with the rules, most homeowners purchase their mailboxes from a limited selection offered by the nearest hardware store. Nothing special in that.

A homeowner has to put some effort into having a mailbox with individuality. To really say something, he must challenge the rules and "think outside the box."

Somebody special lives at this address!


2519 Glendale Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment