Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Gypsy Van

I hate to say it, but I've become a hunter... a hunter of odd and creative things, with a compulsion as fierce as any backwoods deer stalker. When this particular vehicle glided past me on the road I knew I was a goner. I stepped on my accelerator, shouldered in front of three other cars, and roared through a yellow light so as not to lose sight of my prey. I had my camera out of the glove compartment and I was snapping pictures as we made the turn.

To my delight, a few blocks on, the driver turned into a gas station and pulled up at the pumps. I flew into a side parking space, barely closing the car door in my haste. I ran toward the van, my camera at the ready. At the moment I rounded the front fender to blurt out a request for permission to take pictures, it occurred to me how incredibly bizarre my behavior had been and how I must look to the now-cornered driver of the van. I took a quick check of myself... was I drooling?

I was overcome with embarrassment concerning my condition. Fortunately, the driver, a lovely young lady, had a big smile ready for me. She understood!  She was as taken with the bungalow-on-wheels as I was, perhaps more, as she was the owner!


The Gypsy Van turning at the light
Austell Rd at Floyd Rd


Owner of The Gypsy Van, Lorrie


Passenger side of The Gypsy Van


Gentleman friend at the back of The Gypsy Van


Bird's nest surviving the ride


On the back door, a happy, yellow wreath

What a happy photo shoot I had at that gas station! The owner of the vehicle, Lorrie, and her gentleman friend were taking The Gypsy Van to its new home, a lovely spot on the edge of a secluded lake where it would be enjoyed and appreciated and it would complement the scenery.


The Gypsy Van's new home

I came away from this adventure giddy with excitement. After all, I had captured my prey forever in a simple set of photos. I had documented something wonderful and unusual. My hunter's fever was satisfied. As I walked back to my car, I realized that I had received a real treasure this time: the chance to meet a extraordinary person!

Thank you for the photos, Lorrie. Thank you for the shared laugh and for making me feel welcome. I wish you many happy hours looking out on the lake and the woods from the cozy interior of your Gypsy Van!

5 comments:

  1. Please drive safely. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your lovely article and your shared excitement of my gypsy van!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's our little gypsy! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you! :-)

      Happy Holidays in your gypsy van!

      Delete
    2. She is the best gypsy around! Way to go girl!

      Delete