Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Second Atlas

One evening, not long after I photographed the Atlas in Buckhead, I spied a second Atlas. He was perched on the crest of a hill along my daily commute. I was surprised to see an Atlas "in the middle of nowhere" and quickly turned my car around to take pictures. None of the other drivers seemed to notice. You would think he'd have been more of a spectacle - he's pretty large! But, no. We daily commuters focus only on the road... or our phones... or the radio... or the food we've spilled in our laps... not the spectacular.

When Atlas first appeared in Buckhead (many years ago), there were actually three individual Atlas sculptures. One was near the center of Buckhead at Roswell Rd. and Irby Ave. The Second Atlas was placed on Pharr Rd., a block from Peachtree St. He carried a globe and advertised a gym. I believe that this Second Atlas is the sculpture I saw on Windy Hill Rd. The Third Atlas was installed at Spring St. and Linden Ave. and is still there. (I will have to take a picture!)

The three Atlases have different gestures and personalities. The First Atlas is somber and introspective. The Second Atlas has curly hair and an 80's style. When I saw him on Windy Hill Rd., he was chained in the holding yard of a construction firm, held in place by a crane and surrounded by fences. His only company was a billboard for the Pink Plumber and the occasional passing bird. I felt that he was ready to party, but that he didn't have a lot of options.

The Second Atlas has moved on since I took these photos. I meant to ask permission to take pictures from inside the fence. I wanted a closer shot of his face. I wanted to see if he was made of mesh and if he was somewhat transparent like the First Atlas. Too late. Sometimes these perfect subjects get away before I can ask all my questions.


Atlas from the roadway
Windy Hill Rd. at Dixie Ave


Atlas and the Pink Plumber billboard


Closer view


A quiet moment between a man and his billboard


Atlas from another angle, showing the crane behind him


Atlas with his chains and the crane


Closer view of Atlas' head and hand


A peaceful place for birds to rest

No comments:

Post a Comment